Saturday, December 7, 2013

Owen The September Baby Extraordinaire!


He was going to be an October baby. My due date was October 6th. This entire pregnancy, I believed that the baby would be born on or around my mother's birthday, October 5th. So, when contractions started in the early morning hours of Wednesday, September 25th, I dismissed them as Braxton Hicks or nothing at all. I went to work as usual, go there at 7:30 a.m., and taught art-on-a-"cart" up and down stairs to my students. The contractions continued. I hadn't even mentioned anything about having contractions to my husband that morning, so convinced was I that it was false labor. Now, it was after 9 a.m., and the contractions still weren't going away. I decided it was time to start writing down how often they were occurring and quickly realized they came EVERY TEN MINUTES, like clockwork! At this time, I texted my husband and let him know. He texted back immediately, that he was coming to pick me up and get us to the hospital. I said "No, no, it's not necessary. I'm sure it's nothing." I also texted my dula who said to let her know if the contractions get "longer, stronger, and closer together." I told my husband that he did not have to leave work, and that I would just call the OB nurse, see what she says, and then let him know. The OB nurse suggested that we touch base in an hour to see how I was doing. 

Shortly thereafter, I had bloody show. I let my dula know this and she said that if it was red, that for sure meant labor, but mine was brown, which my dula said was a good sign and could mean that I was in labor, or could mean that I would be going into labor in the next couple of days. I voted for the later, and continued teaching art - up and down stairs, schlepping art supplies, and talking about Vincent Van Gogh. When an hour had passed. I called the OB nurse and let her know that I had bloody show. She said that I should come in to see Dr. Wasserman. I asked if it would be possible to see Dr. Wasserman after work, and she said that today was his short day and that if I didn't want to leave work that I should just go directly to Labor and Delivery after I got done with work. Well, the contractions continued, and continued to get "longer, stronger, and closer together." Now with every contraction, I had to stop what I was doing and really breath into the contraction... I really did non want to give birth in front of my students. I realized that maybe it was time to go... no more teaching art... and get to the hospital!

It was 2 p.m. when I left work, 2:20 p.m. by the time we got to the hospital, and 2:30 p.m. by the time they got me into the lasts room - with a tub! - YAY! - at Columbia St. Mary's. The nurse checked me - I was already at 7 cm. She said there was no time to fill the tub. She then asked me if I wanted drugs. Before answering the nurse, I asked my dula, "Will the pain get much worse?" My dula said "Yes, but you can handle it." I told the nurse, "No thank you" to the drugs. Then I immediately regretted my decision. It got really intense. The nurse called Dr. Wasserman and said that he had to come to the hospital now. My screams went from mildly crazy pain screams to SUPER CRAZY PRIMAL WOMAN screams. I quickly learned why the "Ring of Fire" was called the "Ring of Fire". The nurse said that I needed to stop screaming and start breathing into each contraction. Dr. Wasserman had arrived, and told me to start pushing. I told Dr. Wasserman, "NO!!" But then, quickly realized that if I was going to get that baby out, and put and end to the ring of fire that was the only way to go. So, I took Dr. Wasserman's wise advice, and PUSHED! 

Twenty minutes and 3-4 contractions later HE WAS HERE!! On my chest, looking up at me. Perfect. Beautiful. My little September baby! He wanted to arrive today! He entered the world at 3:44 p.m. Fastest birth in my experience (since my first baby was 28 hours of labor). I am SO thankful to have had the support of my husband and my dula - my friend and female advocate who believed in me. If not for my dula, I would have not been so brave to have given birth without drugs. This was the birth experience I wanted, and would not change a thing!! Welcome to the world, Owen!

No comments:

Post a Comment