Saturday, December 7, 2013

Darling Baby Colette

We went into labor on Friday, November 1st around 3:30 in the morning. The day went pretty smoothly, we took a walk, I tried to nap, and generally we just laid low. Our midwife came over around 4:00 when contractions were about 5 minutes apart. She helped Steve get the tub ready and laid our her supplies. Contractions didn't really start until around 6:30, at that point I found the exercise ball was helpful, using it to support myself while on hands and knees.I got into the tub around 7:00 but ended up only spending about 30 minutes in there because it was too warm, but it did help with the transition. I'm not going to lie, transition sucks, but it goes by quickly. And honestly, the only time I thought to myself, "why the hell am I doing this at home without the juice?" was earlier in the day when I had time to think about it. Steve was really great, reminding me to breath and generally just being a silent support. I was very grateful to be at home where I felt comfortable and secure. My midwife, Deb was wonderful, explaining each step and really acting as a guide through the whole process. I ended up pushing for around 45 minutes and hour daughter Colette Amelia was born at 9:39 pm. She weighted 7lb 2oz and was 19"long. She managed to pee on me twice within her first hour of life and is completely amazing.

While it isn't really part of our "birth story" I do want to take a moment and mention breast feeding. It's hard, sometimes it seems totally impossible, it will make you cry your eyes out and there will be days when you feel like all you did was nurse. But keep at it, ask for help, see a lactation consultant if you aren't getting the hang of it (I wish we had gone in sooner). It will get better; everyone will tell you this and you will want to punch them in the mouth, but trust that advice. It took us to weeks to figure it out and now it's less like work and more a chance to bond with each other. <3 p="">

No comments:

Post a Comment