Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Stuck With Cervical Lip for Too Long

On Friday, May 14th I went to the doctor and discovered I was 3 cm dilated and baby was getting ready to make her arrival so Jeremy and I decided to take a nice long walk and see if we could get things moving along. Later that night i experienced some cramping but nothing indicating labor. Saturday morning was a different story.
I woke up and immediately started to experience heavy cramping. We started timing things but they weren't close enough or consistent enough to be too concerned. I cleaned up around the house and watched some TV so I could relax and be distracted. As the day went on contractions were closer together and lasted for longer.
About 6 p.m. contractions were about 5-7 minutes apart and getting more uncomfortable. We wanted to stay home as long as we could so we continued to hand out at the house. At about 8 p.m. my water broke or rather was partially punctured. We called the doctor and she said we should head to the hospital. Once at the hospital things started to progress rather quickly. My doula and Jeremy were very helpful in keeping me focused on my breathing and reminding me to relax through the pain. I changed positions several times which I found very comforting and helpful. I spent quite a lot of time in the tub in different positions.
In the tub Dr. Koch checked me and I was about 8 cm dilated so she punctured the remainder of my membranes to move things along. At this point she suggested I move out of the tub and back to room. I sat on the birthing ball for a while as contractions intensified. Dr. Koch checked my cervix again and realized I was not longer progressing. She discovered that my lovely little girl was on an angle so she wasn't lined up in the birth canal. I did some positioning of my body to get her to move into the proper position. After about 30 minutes of that she was properly aligned but my body was exhausted and still not progressing.
I continue to try the birthing ball and laying on my side but nothing. As were now well into Sunday late morning I was exhausted. Dr. Koch said I needed to relax and suggested I receive an Epidural to see if that would help my cervix dilate. I was very reluctant since that wasn't my plan but my body really couldn't take it anymore and different things didn't move along I would need a C-section. Jeremy and I discussed it and decided we would try the Epidural and hope for the best. After a few hours on the Epidural my cervix was still not progressing so I needed Pitocin as well.
About 1-2 hours after the Pitocin I was ready to push. I pushed for an hour and at 3:35 p.m. (after 30 hours of labor) Olive Frances Sawyer was born. We are doing well and happy but tired.
Jessica & Jeremy, Mequon

No comments:

Post a Comment